10/29/10

The Shining (1980)

            I’d like to start off this entry with a confession: I will not be able to do this film justice.  I just can’t do it.  I’m sorry.  To convey the sheer brilliance of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining in a relatively brief blog post is a nearly impossible task, one that surpasses my abilities as a writer.  Nevertheless, I am going to give it my best shot.  Here we go.
            I remember the first time I saw The Shining.  It was October of 2002 and I was in the eighth grade.  Halloween was near and my friends and I were at the local Hollywood Video browsing through the horror section, looking for something scary.  We decided on The Shining.  None of us had seen it before and the sight of Jack Nicholson’s menacing grin on the cover of the display case had already gotten me nervous.  That night, we watched the DVD in a dark, empty house, illuminated only by the glow of the television set.  I didn’t blink once.  I’m not entirely sure how my friends felt about the movie.  Not much was said about it when it was over.  But I do know how I felt.  I remember it vividly.  Feelings of utter shock and terror put aside, I felt enlightened. 
            Being fourteen years old, I had a very primitive understanding on the concept of art.  I learned from social studies class that art could be found in paintings, classical music, and literature.  But after that first viewing of The Shining, I had discovered, first hand, that art exists in film.  I was born in the 80’s, so inevitably movies have always been a big part of my life.  Needless to say, this realization was a big deal for me.  From that point on, I raised my standards for cinema significantly.  In essence, The Shining made me into the pretentious movie snob that I am today and for that, I hold it in the upmost regard.
            Adapted from Stephen King’s novel of the same name, The Shining tells the story of Jack Torrance (played by Jack Nicholson), a writer who struggles with anger management issues.  Jack has been given a job as caretaker for the Overlook Hotel, an isolated lodge in the mountains that is inaccessible during the winter.  Jack, his wife, and his son (Wendy and Danny, respectively) are to occupy the empty hotel for the duration of the winter.  However, unbeknownst to Jack, the Overlook has a dark past.   This becomes evident to Danny almost immediately, thanks to the telepathic gifts he possesses.
            Director Stanley Kubrick is completely unforgiving in his effort to terrorize his audience with this movie.  In The Shining he creates a completely dehumanizing experience that grabs a hold of you immediately and refuses to let go, even after the credits roll.  Love interests and comic relief are nowhere to be found here.  As a cinematographer, Kubrick is unmatched in his ability to create visual tension.  Long, low-angle steadicam shots give the audience the uneasy impression that the characters are not alone as we follow them through the empty, maze-like halls of the hotel.  Recurring patterns in the wallpaper and carpet further lend us to the feeling that we’re falling down the rabbit hole.  Kubrick places his subjects in the dead center of the frame giving us perfectly symmetrical images, illuminated with practical lighting, leaving noting to the imagination.  Not once does Kubrick suggest that something could be lurking in the shadows.  Nor does he resort to cheap, loud jump-scares.   All of his disturbing imagery is right in front of you, starring you in the face, forcing you to accept what is happening.  Doubt and disbelief are luxuries that Kubrick leaves no room for.  Instead he offers only fear and shock in broad daylight.
            From a visual standpoint, The Shining is a complete success.  But if we continue to dig deeper into this film, we find more terror hidden below the surface narrative.  From the beginning of Stephen King’s novel, it is made very clear that The Shining is a supernatural ghost story taking place in a haunted hotel.  Yet for the film adaptation, Kubrick decides to tiptoe around this approach and aims for something much darker.  Jack, the film’s protagonist, is a recovering alcoholic whose past is just as dark as that of the Overlook.  His inner demons have possessed him longer than any lingering spirits in the hotel have.  While on the surface, Kubrick’s film appears to retain many supernatural elements, it can be argued that the terrors haunting the Torrance family are all psychologically based and result from their extreme isolation and inabilities to deal with their own dark family secrets.  The further Jack falls into madness, the harder I find it to believe that any external forces are influencing him.  It is worth noting that every time a ghost appears to Jack, he is in the presence of a mirror.  I believe that Kubrick found the premise of spirits tormenting an innocent family in a haunted hotel to be juvenile.  I also believe that he found a way to brilliantly sidestep this idea so subtly that he could manage to frighten people in a new way that would impact them even if they didn’t pick up on any subliminal cues.
            Well, there you have it.  I could write volumes on this movie, but I’ll restrain myself and leave you with this very bold statement: The Shining is the greatest horror movie ever made.  Disagree with me.  I don’t care.  You’re not going to change my mind.  That’s my position and I stand beside it unashamed.  If you haven’t seen The Shining I recommend you do so as soon as humanly possible.  I’m signing off now.  Happy Halloween, folks.

-Jonah


Poster by Micah Moseby.

No comments:

Post a Comment